Hello There, Guest!   LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to record a demo and upload it to YouTube
03-02-2014, 01:05 PM
How to record a demo and upload it to YouTube
Hey guys,
As spoken about in the meeting last night in your meeting I will be teaching you how to record a demo and upload it to YouTube. I will sticky this thread so it can be found easily. I will also try and add pictures later tonight

Things you will need:
  • Your Day of Defeat Source (obviously)
  • I recommend Fraps as it makes it easy
  • Adobe Premiere or Another video encoder (Handbrake is another alternative)
  • An internet connection to upload to YouTube
  • A YouTube account

Step 1:
When you notice someone cheating. Don't make it obvious that you're going to spectate them. If you do this they will most likely disable whatever it is they have running. Wait a while after they kill you before you move to spec. Let other admins know what you're doing in spec so you don't get kicked for inactivity.

Step 2:
When you're in spectate make sure your camera is on the player and go into your console (~) and type "record demo_name_whatever" without quotes. To stop the demo when you think you've got enough, just type "stop" in console.

Step 3:
Now that the demo is available, disconnect from your current server and type the following again into console "playdemo demo_name_whatever" and this will load up the demo. To fastforward, play/pause, stop, you will need to bring up the user interface using the command in console "demoui2".

Step 4:
To get a better view of what they're looking at through the wall, you will want to use the following commands "sv_cheats 1" and "r_drawothermodels 2". This will add a wireframe to the players and allow you to see them through the walls.

Watching this you will be able to see if you think they're aiming at people through the wall and tracing peoples movements when they player shouldn't be able to see the other play. Remember, you want to get enough of a demo to show it more than once. By luck it could be that their crosshair just happens to be on that part of the wall. Tracing people over and over again is what you want to look for and I will add some example to this post when I get home.

Step 5:
If you feel that the evidence you have gotten is fair proof then it's time to capture your demo in a video file that can be put on YouTube.

Remember what parts of the demo you saw the person tracking people through the walls and skip to those parts.

Using a program like Fraps to capture your screen, get to the point you want and click the record button shortcut (usually F12 I think) and click the shortcut again to stop. Video files are saved to the Fraps install directory.

Step 6:
The files that Fraps create will be huge, about 2GB for a minute of video, and will need to be compressed before you upload it to YouTube.

The easiest way I've found to do this is to use Adobe Premiere. But their are other programs such as Reincubate Video Converter (Link Here)

Load your file into one of these programs and it will allow you to covert it from a lossless .AVI file to a lossy, high compression .MP4 (should make the filesize about 90% smaller).

Step 7:
Once you have made the new file, all you need to do is upload it to YouTube by logging into your account and then clicking the Upload button just to the right hand side of the search box. From here YouTube will guide you through what you need to do. I suggest changing your video from Public to Unlisted. This means that your video will be on YouTube but will be unsearchable and can only be seen if you have the link.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask any questions or any recommended changes you think I should make to the guide.
Quote this message in a reply
The following 8 users Like wranger's post:
Smelly Adelie (03-02-2014), Rads (03-02-2014), Black_Sheep (03-02-2014), dirty deeds (03-02-2014), Helen (03-02-2014), Johnny (03-02-2014), FluffyBunny (04-02-2014), Nishimiya (04-03-2018)
03-02-2014, 02:18 PM
RE: How to record a demo and upload it to YouTube
ok what the F is fraps.
Nice idea but some peeps here have no idea about computers.
We aren't geeks just cos we like to play games.
Please explain to the uninitiated or dumbasses (me) what fraps is.
I hear it all the time but no idea what is is or how to use it

LtCol Smelly Adelie Retired
:angel:Thorn in the side of mostAngel
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 04:40 PM by Rads.)
Thanks wranger,

@ Mick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraps
lots of info on youtube.

[Image: rads.gif]
[Image: PLVvI3F.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Rads's post:
Smelly Adelie (03-02-2014)
03-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Mick: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+fraps

[Image: jeixm4xa.hyv.gif]
The following 3 users Like Black_Sheep's post:
(03-02-2014), dirty deeds (03-02-2014), Johnny (13-02-2014)
03-02-2014, 06:20 PM
cheers for doing that wranger, took a bit of time obviously. unless u just pinched it off the net haha, thanks regardless
Find all posts by this user
03-02-2014, 06:58 PM
(03-02-2014 06:20 PM)dirty deeds Wrote:  cheers for doing that wranger, took a bit of time obviously. unless u just pinched it off the net haha, thanks regardless

Haha had a bit of spare time at work so I wrote it up Smile
The following 3 users Like wranger's post:
Smelly Adelie (03-02-2014), dirty deeds (03-02-2014), Rads (03-02-2014)
04-02-2014, 04:59 PM
what do you do for work wranger? i take it your not a bricky Tongue haha
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2014, 05:25 PM
IT in a school Smile